Annual General Meeting – Saturday 7th November 2015
11.15am : Annual General Meeting of the OH Club to be held at the ‘Hare & Hounds’, Putts Corner, Sidbury EX10 0QQ (From Honiton take the Sidmouth road). The Agenda will be circulated shortly.
12.00 noon : Carvery lunch at the ‘Hare & Hounds’.
It is essential that you let Richard Bean at email@example.com know if you are coming.
3.00pm: Allhallows Annual Memorial Service at St Paul’s, Honiton conducted by the Rev’d John Newton in the presence of the Deputy Lieutenant, Lt Col T K Courtenay OBE DL RM
Rifle Shooting – Sunday October 11th
At The Tunnel, Charmouth at 10.00am
Followed by drinks and lunch at Hunters Lodge.
Please tell Jim Rowe at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are coming.
An important message from the President, Roddy Long
The Future of the OH Club
There were some 300 returns of the Questionnaire circulated with the 2015 OH Magazine and subsequently put on the web site and I am grateful to everyone who took the time to complete and return the questionnaire and to those you offered assistance as era representatives, with IT matters and as potential Committee members.
I asked Myf Adams (Middlemist 1969-71) to lead a small group including Martin Boulden (Stanton 1981-83), Patrick Musters (Stanton 1966-70) and Peter Sloan (Baker 1966-71) to review all the returns and to come forward with suggestions as to the future of the Club.
The main conclusions of Myf’s group are:
- The great majority of respondents consider the Club still to be relevant to them.
- The Club should continue in its present form but with greater emphasis on electronic communications which appeal to the younger OHs.
- There is still a demand for gatherings and events.
- The Committee should be restructured to create more focus. The existing posts of President, Vice President, Hon Sec and Hon Treasurer should be maintained but new posts of Media Secretary, Sports Secretary and Events Secretary to be created with each functioning with the asssitance of a sub committee. In addition there should be two ‘free’ members of the committee.
- The Committee and sub committees should include, if possible, at least 2 members in each of the 30-40 and 40-50 age ranges.
- The terms of office of Officers and Committee members to be reviewed.
- No new Honorary Life Vice Presidents to be appointed.
- Consideration be given to the nomination of ‘era representatives’ and also ‘area representatives’ both in the UK and overseas as points of contact and also for the coordination of meetings/events.
- Technology be fully embraced for communication through the OH website, Facebook and LinkedIn. A full database be established of all OH particulars including addresses, e-mail etc and consideration be given – subject to the necessary legal protections and approvals – to the establishment of a members only access system.
- The scope of Committee approved events be widened to include visits to places of interest, networking events, era-based events. OHs to be asked for details of their interests and events that they would like to see and/or arrange.
- An annual subscription of £15-20 be introduced in return for, amongst other things, the hard copy OH Magazine and, when established, access to the members only section of the OH website which will of course continue to be available to anybody, OH or others, who clicks on to www.oldhonitonians.com.
- Enable and encourage electronic (BACS) payments for membership subscriptions, events etc
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT on these conclusions and/or put forward your views as to how the Club can best ensure its continued survival appealing to all age groups within the membership. Please e-mail or write to the Hon Secretary, Alec Crawford email@example.com or Littlehay, 1 Holymoor Close, Beaminster DT8 3NQ..
There will be a chance to discuss the whole subject of the future of the Club at the AGM to be held on Saturday 7th November at 12 noon at The Hare & Hounds, Gittisham, Nr Sidmouth before final conclusions are made and any necessary changes to the Rules of the Club are drafted for approval by members.
The Club has learnt of the death of Stuart E Scott (Stanton 1958-62) on 12th June 2015.
The Club has learnt of the death in August of Dorothy Bhonsle nee Cox.
‘Dotty’ Cox, as she was known to many, was assistant house matron and house matron at Allhallows from shortly after the end of the Second World War until the late 60s. The Club’s sympathy and condolences are extended to Dorothy’s husband and family.
The Club has also learnt of the death on 11th September of Robert Ireland (Venning ’71-75) on 11th September aged 58. A long time executive with Coca Cola, a full obituary can be found at:
The Club’s sympathy and condolences go to Robert’s family.
Anybody with reminiscences or information about Dorothy Bhonsle, Robert Ireland or Stuart E Scott while at school or afterwards is invited to send their material to Alec Crawford, Hon Sec OH Club, at firstname.lastname@example.org for possible inclusion in the next issue of the OH Magazine.