(Draft) Minutes of the Annual General Meeting
Held on Saturday 7th November 2015
At the Hare & Hounds, Gittisham.
The President, Vice Presidents, Hon Treasurer, Hon Secretary, Committee members and some 30 OHs.
Apologies had been received from 10 OHs.
- Opening Remarks:
In welcoming the attendants, the President recalled the hugely successful 500th Anniversary Lunch at the Painters' Hall attended by 190 OHs ranging in age from 36 to 91 and he particularly thanked Nigel French who chaired the organising committee. Roddy Long reminded members that he had asked Myf Adams to form a group to look at the future of the Club and he thanked her and Martin Boulden, Patrick Musters and Peter Sloan for the work they had done. The questionnaire distributed earlier in the year in the Magazine and by e-mail had drawn a response from some 25% of members and it was immediately clear that, almost without exception, the respondents wanted the Club to continue. Discussions were continuing within the Committee and it was hoped to put full proposals to members in the near future. In the meantime a summary of discussions so far will be circulated shortly. On the sporting front Roddy Long thanked John Pagliero for arranging golf matches and it was hoped that in 2016 there would be 8-10 individual fixtures in addition to the Golf Week. Despite the considerable work done by Myf Adams over the last two years the planned tennis day had again to be cancelled due to lack of support. Jim Rowe had organised two days of shooting, one at clay pigeons and the other at targets and although attendance was not large, both days had been very entertaining. After 12 years valuable service Richard Bean was stepping down as West Country Secretary and the President thanked him for all that he had done and, to applause, presented him with a set of 500th Anniversary tumblers. Roddy announced that David Richardson would take over as West Country Secretary with immediate effect.
- Confirmation of Minutes:
Proposed by Giles Blomfield, seconded by Myf Adams, the Minutes of the Meeting held on 27th November 2014 were approved unanimously and signed by the Chairman.
- Election of Officers and Committee:
The following, having agreed to stand and having been proposed and seconded, were nominated for election, each for a three year term:
Position Nominee Proposer Seconder President: Roddy Long Alec Crawford Roger Wheeler Vice Presidents: Tim Birmingham
Richard Le Fleming
Hon Treasurer: Robin Grey Alec Crawford Roddy Long Hon Secretary: Alec Crawford Roddy Long Roger Wheeler Committee: George Hayter
- Treasurer's Report: The Hon Treasurer, referring to the accounts for the year ended 31st May 2015, said that excluding the 500th Anniversary Lunch income and expenditure there was a surplus for the year of £917. He further commented that excluding the 500th Anniversary figures, both income and expenditure were very much in line with the previous year. In respect of the 500th Anniversary the final income and expenditure account showed a deficit of £2,455 which was almost exactly as expected and would be covered by the saving resulting from the AGM and Reception not being held in London in 2016. Robin Grey acknowledged the very generous donation of £1,000 received from John Wong. Proposed by Roger Wheeler and seconded by Anthony Lovell-Wood the annual accounts for the year ended 31st May 2015 were unanimously adopted.
- West Country Report: David Richardson advised that the 2016 West Country Lunch would be held on Saturday 14th May at the Victoria Hotel, Sidmouth and would be a table served three course lunch at a cost to be finalised between £21.00 and £25.00 per head. David Richardson also advised that he would be organising the 2016 Walk at Kingston Lacy in October 2016.
- OH magazine: George Hayter advised that he 2016 Magazine is expected to be distributed in January/February 2016.
- Website: Alec Crawford reported that Simon Reading, the web site administrator who took over folllowing the death of Nigel Giles at the end of 2014, was working on a re-design of the website in order to make it more user friendly as well as more secure.
- The Future of the Club:
Myf Adams, who chairs the group looking at the future of the Club, summarised the proposals discussed by the Committee earlier in the day.
- the Committee would be restructured in order to clarify member's responsibilities
- the position of Live Vice Presidents would be less prominent on the Committee
- it had been agreed not to recommend the introduction of an annual subscription
- the proposal for an on line members list required further study in order to ensure compliance with Data Protection rules and also to ensure the necessary level of security. Simon Reading was also considering other ways of enabling members to obtain the contact details of other members.
- it was proposed that that both era and also area representativies should be appointed in order to maximise contacts and gatherings. OHs who had volunteered when replying to the questionnaire to be such representatives would be approached.
- Any other business: Anthony Lovell-Wood suggested that consideration be given to holding an AGM and Reception in the Midlands or North of England where there are a considerable number of OHs located.
- Date and Place of the Next Meeting: Thursday 24th November 2016 at 6.00pm at the RAC, London. However the President said that whilst noting Mr Lovell-Wood's suggestion, he hoped that another AGM would be held in the West Country.